1. A tradition Hula dance is followed by steps and gestures that opens up a story behind
The origin of the dance expresses blessing and celebration. The dance is accompanied by beautiful Hawaiian music with a melody of drums and it is a true experience which will draw you deeply into Hawaiian culture.
Let’s try some Hula dance!
2. In Hawaii, you can find a unique species of spiders – a Happy face spider (Theridion grallator).
They have a picture of a smiling face on their back! Seriously! If you get a chance to see them (in a rainforest) you might start laughing. 🙂
They are small and non-poisonous. Don’t worry.
3. None of the snakes in Hawaii originally come from Hawaii
It is said that there are no snakes in Hawaii.However, there are some but it is rare to find one, except in ZOO. It is illegal to own a snake as a pet and you can get finned – 200,000$!
4. Did you know that (Brahmini) Hawaiian blind snake, which comes originally from the Philippines, is just 5mm long?
Their size is like a worm but they are real SNAKES though.:-)
5. Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows own coffee, vanilla beans, and cacao
6. Hawaii has its own time zone which means that doesn’t use Daylight Saving Time
The time is same for all year.
7. Mauna Loa (5,271 km², 4,170 m above the sea, 120km long) on Big Island is the world’s largest volcano on earth!
Although Hawaiians speak English they also have their own language. Let me introduce you some vocabulary and phrases.
When you get lost, locals usually navigate you in two directions – to the ocean (makai) and to the mountain (mauka)