Ask yourself before you go
- What activities are you planning to do?
- Do you want to spend time on the beach, hiking or exploring the city?
- Are you sensitive to sun and get easily sunburnt?
- Are you planning to stay in a hut, tent or in a resort?
Essentials for a beach
- After sun treatment (I recommend Aloe vera gel for burnt, also great for insects bites)
- Summer beach clothes
- Beach bag
- Towel for the beach
- Scarf (perfect to cover yourself when you are burnt or to make a skirt (essential for temples in Malaysia or Indonesia but also as a fashion for beach)
- Snorkelling gear (always better to have your own)
- Flip flop (but if you don’t have it, it is not as a big deal as it is kind of cheap to buy anywhere)
- Waterproof bags – perfect for money, credit card or electronics and larger items
- Waterproof pouch for your small electronics – mp3 player or phone
- Selfie stick, mini tripod
- Book (if you plan to spend more time on the beach or to read in a hotel)
Tip – to protect your camera, you can use a mini freeze bag! It will keep it cool. However, don’t use ice! 🙂
Essentials for other activities
- Handy backpack with many pockets
- Charger for your phone (that is the “must item” anywhere)
- Travel water filter (very handy if you go to the wild nature for hiking adventure)
- Umbrella (in tropical destination might rain more often than usual, also useful against sun)
- Small raincoat
- Waterproof jacket (always handy for hiking)
- Waterproof wallet